Are you not willing to travel on your RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) tickets? IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) allows the facility of ticket cancellation through online TDR (Ticket Deposit Receipt) filing 30 minutes before the departure time, said IRCTC in a tweet posted on its official handle- @IRCTCofficial. TDR filing can also be done online in special cases when the chart is prepared but the passenger could not travel by the train he/she booked the ticket. Users can file the TDR and also track status of the refund case through tracking service provided by IRCTC, according to the official website of IRCTC- irctc.co.in. An RAC ticket is an Indian Railways ticket that ensures certainty of travel but does not guarantee a berth.
Here are 5 things to know about RAC/wait-listed or non-traveled tickets:
1. In case of RAC and wait-listed tickets, refund will be made only if the confirmed ticket is present for cancellation on the boarding station up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train, said IRCTC. (Also read: In Case Your Train Is Cancelled, Entire Booking Amount To Get Credited Automatically. Details Here)
2. The ticket is cancelled in such a case on the boarding station and the refund is made, after deducting the applicable cancellation charges.
3. In case of e-tickets, TDR filing can also be processed online after the journey when the customer was not able to perform the journey due to any /or the following reason: train canceled by Indian Railways, train running late by more than three hours and passenger not traveled, difference of fare in case proper coach not attached, AC failure, traveled without proper ID proof, wrongly charged by TTE and if party partially traveled. (Also read: IRCTC Tatkal Reservation: New Facility For Booking Train Tickets)
4. No cancellation charge is levied and full fare is refunded to passengers holding confirmed, RAC and wait-listed tickets if the journey is not undertaken due to late running of train by more than three hours of scheduled departure, subject to the condition that the ticket is surrendered prior to actual departure of train.
5. The e-tickets should be cancelled through internet and the refund of fare will be credited to the account from which the booking transaction took place.